Developing further on the ideas of unifying our space and creating an identity as people move through the site, led to this iteration of my design. As a group, we began by deciding on a floor plan design that mimicked a droplet of water extending through the entire site, radiating out of the center. We also decided to use the existing pillars, strip off their current brick facade, and build a trellis that covers the entire site. The goal is that these two elements unify the site even though the character within each area varies with materials, programs, and overall feel.
This first image represents the underlay of the site map focusing on my area of the site. It has the parking lot and the yoga studio to place it in the area but also has the poles for the trellis and the marks of the flooring represented on it as well.
Next, I experimented with different, experiential circulation routes that connect to the amphitheater and museum site that neighbors mine. My goal was to create broad sweeping curves that unified the area and created a circulation route that felt curvaceous and natural while weaving people through the yoga studio, garden plots, and playgrounds. I also intended these curvaceous routes to bring people around the entire area and loop them back through it in the opposite direction. One critique I received previously said that it's a good idea to have people end their journey in the playground but force them to exit back through the commercial market so they buy food and goods after they are tired from playing and physical activity.
After that, I did a more finalized version over that where I cleaned up the edges and finalized the shape and size of the garden plots and tables. This plan drawing gave me a better idea of what the experience would actually be like and proves to be a little awkward. Without the circulation lines directing people through the curvaceous routes the plot design and overall placement of programs seems awkward. I'm glad I experimented with this different movement and broke up the harsh lines because it's essential to attempt and try every design and movement to see what will be most successful. This stage of iterations also showed us that our flooring pattern is unnecessary and needs to be refined. We plan on keeping the idea of a unified flooring plan but we need to create a material that has less of a conceptual idea and is based more on actual usage.
While elaborating on my program and design ideas, I drew this perspective view to get a better idea of what the actual experience inside of the studio would feel like. This drawing showed me that I really like the garage door idea and how effective it is at creating an opening and breaches the gap between indoor and outdoor spaces seamlessly. I also like the wooden floor panels continuing outside because it creates a continuous flow to the outside and extend the space and its usage. This drawing also showed me that the glass wall on the side isn't necessary and would probably be more useful as a mirror wall to make the studio more effective. I also learned I don't need such an elaborate fencing outside and it would be much more cost effective to use a simple chain link design and allow the community to add art to it and build an identity and connection to the area. It was fun to add plantings and people and really give the design life. It makes me excited to continue designing and produce more iterations that continuously improve the experience.